When people arrive at your home page what’s the first thing they see? A splash page with a flash movie and a button saying “Click to skip into”? Or a page full of waffle giving the history of your company starting with how your great-great grandfather started it in 1895?
Either way I not interested. I’m looking for a business that can supply me what I need. I’m not looking to be entertained or to get a local history lesson. If your site can’t show me in 5 seconds that you might be able to supply what I need, then I’m out of there to another site that I’ve also found on Google.
It’s easy guys. Follow what I call the “Four W’s Principle”.
What do you do?
- We’re accountants.
- We’re a marketing agency.
- I’m a business coach (on second thoughts for this one, tell me what abusiness coach is because I’ve no idea and I’m sure many others haven’t either).
Where do you do it?
- We operating primarily in the greater Birmingham area.
- We service clients throughout the UK.
- We operate worldwide.
Who do you do it to?
- We supply our services to people in the hotel and catering trade.
- We sell our products to beauticians.
- We specialize in developing website for customers in the aviation industry.
Why should I let you do it to me?
- We have over 100 satisfied customers who’ve used our services in the past 24 months and here are some testimonials from some of them.
Simple as that! No waffle, straight to the point. If that fits with my requirements then I’m almost certain to look a bit deeper into your website. And if your site convinces me, I might just be in touch.
But that’s another story for another day.